Friday, June 13, 2014

Right Now...

At this moment, my kids are home from school early (half day).

#2 is playing "Scarborough Fair" on the piano, #3 and #4 are playing Minecraft, #5 and #6 are eating cookies and playing outside in the playhouse (old one from neighbors), and #1 is doing a puzzle with Nana (Brandon's mom who is here to visit for a few days!).

The birds outside the window are singing boldly and it is beautiful. For the first time since Sunday, the sun is actually shining! And that means that it's hot. Sticky and hot. Because as we know, humidity here is King! And I'm actually okay with it. The humidity has made my asthma better, my skin softer, and my hair curlier. Sure, we sweat all day, but what's cool is everybody is sweating, so it's not weird, you know?

This morning, #1 won three award at the 7th grade assembly at her middle school. She was the top computer science student of the marking term, and she was the Math and Social Studies student of the year! She's amazing! Brandon and Nana got to be there to see her receive the awards, and then Nana and I took the little boys to the park where they were thoroughly drenched in water, sand, and mud. It was back home for baths, lunch, Go Fish, and puzzles until the big kids got home from school.

I love the feeling when all my kids are home. I love knowing what they are doing, where they are, and that they are happy and successful. These kids have blown me away with their academic improvements and achievements this year. I was worried that with the move, they might fall behind, but they have thrived instead! The schools here are pretty amazing, I have to be honest. One of the reasons we picked this place is because it was affordable, it was quiet, and because it has a fantastic school district. I'm very pleased overall with how this school year has gone.

Now they get three more days of school (only half days) to make up for the 14 snow days we had this past winter. It's kind of dumb, but it is what it is...

Update: now #5 is taking a nap, and #2 is teaching herself to play some Lord of the Rings piano pieces, and #4 is doing a puzzle with Nana...

I love my life. It's not always easy, but it's blessed. I feel deeply that the choices I make everyday have a profound effect upon my kids. I fail a lot, but I'm still trying. I pray everyday that my kids will be whom God needs and wants them to be, and in these moments, I feel that it's going to be just fine.

No comments: