Sunday, March 30, 2014

LDS Women's Meeting and I'm Baking a Cake

My baby woke up with a fever. [Yes, I know my "baby" is 2 years old, now, but until another sweet angel comes along (maybe?) he'll just have to continue being my "baby!"] That means I'm home with the little guy while Brandon took the other kids to church.

I'm bummed about missing church because I love church. Love it. I look forward to it every week, and I'm sad I won't have the opportunity to partake of the Sacrament. Last week was Stake Conference (no sacrament) and next week is General Conference (no sacrament), and so today was the day! Plus, it's Fast Sunday for us, which means that our congregation has the opportunity to bear their testimonies about the gospel. I've always loved Fast and Testimony Sacrament Meeting, simply because I love to feel the strength and the Spirit and the love of those in my ward. Ah, well. Next time!

I'm occupying the time by baking a delicious lemonade cake for one of our sister missionaries (it's her 20th birthday today and we get to feed her and her companion! Yay!), listening to the scriptures on the Mormon Channel app (listening to the book of John), cooking taco soup, and giving into Baby's demands. I may also tidy up and take a shower.

Oh, recipe for the cake? Go here.

Last night was the LDS Women's Meeting! This is big news, dear reader, because this is a newly implemented meeting for the entire church! Every six months we have General Conference, and for decades, the women have taken turns going to a meeting the week before. In September, the week before October General Conference, the Relief Society sisters have met (18 years and older). In March, the week before April General Conference, the Young Women and their mothers and leaders have met (12 to 18 years old). Now, both of those meetings have been replaced with the General Women's Meeting for all women ages 8 and older! This is huge!

So, I took my two daughters to the meeting and it was wonderful! We stopped at Olive Garden on our way to the church for dinner, much to the girls' joy. Not very many women came to the church to watch it, and #2 was the only primary girl there, but it was still nice to be in the church. We sat next to the missionaries and had a great experience. I had gone to the conference with questions and a desire to find renewed hope and I was blessed with both. One of my favorite parts was when Sister Wixom asked the primary girls to stand and start singing a song. #2 was kind of embarrassed, but she stood and sang all by herself (well, all by herself in our stake center!).

Here's one of the videos they showed at the broadcast last night! If you'd like to watch the whole thing, go here.

(This video below made me bawl like a baby. So did seeing all of those daughters singing with their mothers in the choir that performed (in link above). So did hearing that young woman giving the opening prayer. I love the gospel so much!)




Oh! And here's the other one they did. It shows women around the world singing "I Am A Child of God" in their own languages. Then they had us sing the first verse together, live. So beautiful!

1 comment:

flip flop mama said...

It truly was a special meeting. So glad I got to go with my daughter (and SIL and Stepmom). I hope she remembers the way she felt there for a long time!