Sunday, October 06, 2013

October 2013 General Conference: Sunday

Another amazing day of General Conference!

Two things stood out to me:
1. Elder Oaks and Elder Nelson said the same thing: Just because laws make a law saying the immoral behavior is now okay doesn't mean that God will condone it. Sin is sin, no matter what the law books say. That doesn't mean we treat people with unkindness, it just means we don't accept immorality as moral. I was struck that "by the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established," and these two men are Apostles of the Lord, Jesus Christ. As I said on my Facebook page:

Elder Dallin H Oaks, thank you so much. It's one thing to be just me and be told I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to morality and the laws of my country that are becoming decidedly immoral (at every turn), but it's another when an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ speaks those words. Thank you for giving my faltering courage a boost and for reminding me how to do it with respect and love.

I really hope that I can, dear reader. I have a tendency to ignore the person in favor of the commandment, even though it's never been my intention to be unkind. Luckily, I have a Savior to emulate, and I'm going to try harder to be more like Him. He was perfection (of course) and was able to love the person, while sustaining the commandment. That's my goal.

 2. My kids are a distraction, and although it was better this time (I wasn't as angry and I didn't force them to watch everything), I missed some things. So... my notes will reflect this.

In fact! I don't have Sunday afternoon notes to share. :(  This is because we drove Brandon to the airport this afternoon. We listened, but I get carsick when I read/write while driving, so there are no notes to share. Btw, as long as we are here and not in PA, Brandon will be flying to PA on Sunday night and then coming home on Friday mornings. We only get him for about two days each week (thus the reason I want to move ASAP!). But it looks like we can't get into our rental home until the 1st, so we'll be leaving on the 2nd. We hope.

Anyway! Here are my Sunday morning notes. The end.

Elder Eyring: 
*Advice on how to choose happiness
*There is but ONE plan of happiness: to follow all the commandments of God. 
*One overarching commandment that will lead to the heart of a happy family life and applies to all relationships: "Thou shalt love the Lord they God with all thy soul and all thy might and all thy mind" and "thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" 
*Choose to put himself in a place where he can feel the joy of the Lord's forgiveness.
*Go to the Savior for relief from pain, relief that only He can give
*It is only with the companionship of the Holy Ghost, that we can hope to be yoked in a happy marriage; becoming One takes the help from heaven and it takes time. 
*Hilarious story of his parents and the move to Utah
*God has provided means in order to save each of his children!
*"I gave him to you because I knew you could, and would, love him!" 
*With God's help we can feel joy and hope

Elder Oaks:
*Ten commandments
*First two: thou shalt have no other gods before Me, and thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image --nor serve or bow down to them. 
*Jealous means offensive
*Anything that takes us from God, like hobbies, cultural, political, educational, etc. pursuits. 
*What is our ultimate priority? Are we putting our "gods" before the God we profess to worship? 
*we are known as a family centered church --our highest aspiration is the fulness of eternal exaltation and we know it is only possible in families
*We see marriage and the bearing/nurturing of children as the most important. 
*Statistics on lack of marriage and children
*The emphasis we put on the law of chastity is because of our understanding of the procreation powers. And shows our commitment to the pattern of marriage. 
*Out of wedlock children, cohabitation, SSM, etc. are so popular now. But we don't condone them, neither do we agree with the justification that support them. Our policies are determined by the truths God has identified as being unchangeable. 
*Man's laws cannot make moral what God has deemed immoral. 
*Quote by Pres. Monson on having Courage to defy the consensus!! 
*We must never deviate from our paramount desire, we must never dilute our first priority! 

Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson:
*Joshua: "Choose Ye this day, whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." 
*Conversion of Agnes Hogan from Scotland and how she refused to let her daughter be adopted by a rich family in order for her to have the Gospel
*The decision you make in your daily life will determine what happens to you later. (Scriptures, Cheryl. Scriptures!)
*True conversion is more than just a knowledge or just a testimony... Being truly converted means acting upon what we believe!
*Conversion is a process and not an event, it takes time, effort, and work. 
*Story of being the only LDS member in her high school in the 60's. 
*True conversion begins to take place as you live a principle and the Holy Ghost teaches you that it is true, and as you continue to act on the doctrine that you know is true.
*"When thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren"

Elder Richard J. Maynes: 
*Every day we have all kind of challenges 
*The spiritual strength we develop can help us successfully endure all the challenges we will face in our life
*Liberty jail
*Due to our mortality, we will make mistakes and need help, and the necessary help is through Christ
*Endurance is important! 
*Story about basketball training
*A testimony, like your body, needs to be in shape if it is to endure
 --You can't just watch Gen Conf. You must DO your best to live what you learn. 
 --Be spiritually prepared, have the stamina to consistently choose the right and becoming immovable to live the gospel. Having the stamina means the world will have very little negative impact upon us. 
*Death of his gggrandfather on his mission in England :( 
*This life is an endurance race set with obstacles. In order to honorably successfully finish the race, we need to pay the price of dedication, perseverance, and self-discipline
*Paul: I have finished the course

Elder Richard G. Scott:
*Personal strength through the Atonement of Jesus Christ
*Breaking a covenant with the Lord is never justified!
*Even after years of faithful living, it was imperative that they protect themselves spiritually from the enticements of past sins (AntiLehiNephi's) 
*The Lord warns that unrepentant rebellion will bring punishment.
*When the Lord speaks of weaknesses, it is always with mercy
*Through the Atonement of Christ, we can build fortification between ourselves and any past mistakes that Satan can exploit.
*1. Sincere and thorough repentance. 2. 
UGH, YOU LOUD AND MISBEHAVING CHILDREN! I CAN'T HEAR!!!
*

President Monson:
*

(The end is not a joke. That's as far as I got, man! My kids. I sure love them. :)  ) 

1 comment:

chercard said...

I LOVED Elder Scott's talk. I would have never thought to liken the stripling warriors to the Atonement. Absolutely incredible!