Monday, June 10, 2013

First Date, Fifteen Years

I'm working on a blog post with a million-gazillion photos. But I had to pause because I just remembered what today was, and only a hopeless romantic like myself would care enough to notice.

Fifteen years ago today, my husband took me out on our first date. The end. 

Well, I already wrote about it. You can read about it here. And probably here. I like to re-hash the story because I think it's important to remember. 

I love remembering how we met and our dating relationship, how we got engaged, our engagement, our wedding... I think it's important for my kids to know about these things, too. The more we remember, the more we're reminded why we do what we do and why we did what we did. It's funny, because just the other day (week?) Brandon surprised me by mentioning that he actually did remember something about the day we met, something I hadn't written in a blog post (ha!). He remembered what shirt I was wearing and was able to describe it. I still think he's remembering the shirt from our first date (maybe I wore it at both places?), but who cares! He remembered something. I like that. A lot. 

Romantics like myself consider remembering details to be a sign of love. You know, I once date a guy who couldn't even remember what city I was from (I had lived there for 18 years, too. When I dated him, I had only been living away from home for 6 months). Forget Romantics --isn't that a sign that there's not much interest?

Luckily for me, Brandon was very interested. 

It's weird to think that we've loved each other for fifteen years. Our first date was fun and casual, but, dear reader, within five days, we were already exclusive. Within three weeks, we were planning our future lives together. We were married for eternity eight months later. 

I find it comforting, that in a world and society so in over it's head with different philosophies about marriage and relationships, I was able to find a great man, and by listening to God through the Holy Ghost, I didn't hesitate to take that leap of faith to marry him. I know I'm blessed. I know I'm lucky. I have so many friends who have married with the same faith and the same answers, but because of agency, have ended up abused and hurt. My heart aches for them. The grip of Satan in this world is horrifying at times. I'm grateful Brandon has used his agency for good. And for me.

Fifteen years of dates. Here's to fifty more (plus eternity, so give a take a millenium...  :)  ).




No comments: