Friday, April 29, 2011

Why I Loved The Royal Wedding

I get it. We're in a recession. People are starving, the world is full of hate, lack of freedom, poverty, and suffering. The British monarchy is mostly for show now-a-days; they don't have any "real" power.

I know.

But I don't care. I love the royal family! I loved the royal wedding. Why? I'm so glad you asked! Let me enlighten you to my personal reasons for loving it:

1. William actually loves Kate. Kate actually loves William. They have 10 years of friendship behind them; a solid foundation for a lasting relationship. William chose the one he loved --unlike his father, he wasn't really "forced" into a "prudent relationship" --he chose, and he chose well.


2. Kate is a commoner. Like Grace Kelly, she is a typeface for Cinderella, and it's beautiful! This morning she was a commoner, and now she is a princess. The romance of that just thrills me, even the feminist that I am. I love a good romance!


3. The wedding brought together millions of people all over the world! It was a unifying experience, and one about joy, love, new beginnings --we were able, as a world, to focus for just a brief moment on something beautiful instead of tragic; something joyful instead of horrific.


4. The religion! I love how the monarchy is married to its' religion, and what a big part it played. There was so much mention of Christ and God and fidelity and loyalty and the reasons for marriage. Since I adore my own religion, it was wonderful to see the same deference given to their own.

5. The music! Oh, my goodness, the music! Absolutely astounding.


6. Westminster Abbey is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I literally could not pick my jaw up off of the ground as I walked around the Abbey 2 years ago, nor could I stop the tears from forming in my eyes. That place has over a THOUSAND years of history behind it --tradition going back to the 1100's and 1300's. Coronations, marriages, burials --so much history! And I adore history. The "pomp" of the wedding in such a glorious place was so appropriate to me.

7. The classiness. With the world becoming so crude, crass, rude, and obnoxious, it is so very refreshing to see some manners! The royal family are just so dang polite! I love the formality. The grace. The regal address. I do! I really do.


8. I'm an anglophile. You already know this, dear reader. I dream of visiting (living??) in England again. My people are from there, you know! I have some kind of spiritual draw to the people and the land.

And that's about it.

What do you think? Do you like the British royalty? Or do you find them outdated?

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I love all your reasons. I think I would agree with them too. It is so fun to have something so joyous going on right now. And I love how they have so much class. And the fact that they actually got married!! More people need to do that these days. I didn't see the actual wedding or what not, just pictures, and it looked so amazing. Yay for people being in love and getting married!

Amanda D said...

I forgot to record :( so I only saw the highlights and what I looked at on yahoo earlier, but I'm with you. I loved it! I just smiled as I watched. Such good, happy news. I think we all need a little more to smile about.

Kate is a beautiful bride. Loved her dress. Loved that William didn't look at her as she walked down the aisle (but Harry peaked!) and I love that they got to ride in the open carriage. It's so romantic.

Ahhh....

Jocelyn said...

I didn't record anything, so I just spent my (essentially) entire day trying to find bits and pieces on the news. I wasn't really interested in any of it until all of a sudden I was and it was beautiful. She is a gorgeous, classy young lady and I was so moved by their very apparent affection for one another. She was just stunning and he was totally glowing with love. It brought tears to my eyes a few times.
The manners really touched me, too. I loved how composed they were, no cake smashing, no juicy makeouts in front of everyone, just honor and respect and cute secret glances and whispers. It was really beautiful and inspiring...and it sure makes you think that those are two famous people who might actually make a marriage work. Lovely. Just lovely.

And I agree with Amanda...something about that carriage ride was SOOOO romantic!

And I have to mention one more time how incredibly gorgeous she was. Wow. The dress....the jewelry....the make up....the hair....the tiara. She was radiant.

Never A True Aggie said...

I missed it all but the balcony, so I have also watched bits and pieces here and there. I LOVED that the dress was so classy and modern. SLEEVES ARE BACK!!! I am hoping that we will see sleeves on brides again for some time to come. So, I am not a fan of living together, but given the history of the Royals, AND that they do not make the convenants that I make, I actually think they have a chance to make it because they have known each other for a long time. Kate also has been able to get used to some of the attention. It is going to be more now, but I think that she is prepared. I was a little sad to not have Diana there. I think because we have watched the Prince grow up and become such a good young man, it was just so nice to see him move on to marriage in such a nice way. I also LOVED the bridesmaid's dress (Pippa). Again, Sleeves!!! Please come back. We missed you. The hats were a hoot too.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I totally agree with all your points in this post. I appreciated the simple elegance of Kate's dress, the adorable little glances they kept stealing at each other, the way he couldn't hold in his adoration for his bride at the altar...and just how polite but un-stuffy their manners were. It was all amazing. I cried, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :)

The Atomic Mom said...

New to your blog today (thank you More Good Foundation). I loved the wedding, and everything you mentioned. I am a student (and a past teacher) of history, especially British and English Medeval and Renaissance history, so I love Westminster, even though I've never been there. (One day!). I thought the service was inpsiring and the music was also beautiful. I hope Wills and Kate do well in their married life. :)