Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blah, blah, yadda-yadda-yadda...

I have some pretty genius-like friends. Alison is one of 'em. Don't believe me? Read her post.
--------------------

Since I last wrote about my exercising epiphany, I am proud to say that I haven't failed! All four days this week have started with an alarm clock, a short jaunt downstairs, and an exercise routine.
Monday was Level 1 of 30-Day Shred.
Tuesday was Level 1 of Yoga Meltdown.
Wednesday was Level 2 of 30-Day Shred.
Thursday (today) was Level 2 of Yoga Meltdown.
Tomorrow will be Level 3 of 30-Day Shred.

And yes. I'm addicted to Jillian Michaels.

As I was doing the yoga this morning -- grateful that nobody on the planet could actually see me in all my clumsy/non-balanced/sweating glory -- I realized that I now have some new goals. Oh, sure, the weight loss would be nice, but what I want now? More than weight loss? To do those kill-me-now hard poses in the yoga video.

Julie told me that Level 3 of 30-Day Shred KILLED her. I've never experienced a killing with Level 3 before because I've never been able to do Level 3 correctly. Before. Or now. Level 2 for me is really hard --because I can do it! That makes sense, right? That in order to get the full benefits of the workout, one has to be able to actually do the moves of said workout. Right? Right. Which, dear reader, speaks volumes about Julie and her awesome exercising capabilities.

So, that is my goal! To be able to do the yoga poses and really kick it on Level 3. It'll be slow-going, but I remember when I wanted to do a plank pose for 3 minutes without stopping (on my elbows/forearms, not my hands), and I ended up doing it. Sure, it took 3 months, but still! I did it!
------------------------------------------

China is looming and my nervousness is accompanying the looming. I know I should make a huge list of what I should bring with me, but I'm too busy being mom and writing out my kids' schedules for the babysitters to think about what I will need in the 14 hours-ahead (or is it 13 hours-ahead?) country across the ocean. The visa and passport are ready; the hotels are booked. The flights are ready. But am I?

Maybe it just feels so unrealistic at this point; that I'm actually going! Maybe it's because the day before we go I have to make sure #1 gets to swimming lessons, #2 gets to theater lessons, and #3 gets to his soccer game on time. I'm so focused on everything that has to be done before we go, that I haven't had a chance to absorb the reality that we're going. Maybe it's a good thing the flight is so long?
Blah. Maybe not.
--------------------------------------------

I'm hosting book club next month. Any good book recommendations? I need to pick a good one!

5 comments:

SHELLS BELLS! said...

I'm not sure what you have previously read but here are some options: Peace like a River by Leif Enger, The Help, Elegance of the Hedgehog, The Housekeeper and the Professor, Cutting for Stone, The Girls from Ames, Magic of Ordinary days. I could keep going but will stop for now. Good luck finding a book!

epugs said...

You are amazing. And among all you are doing you found time to watch my son and go to Book Club. You are my hero.

Alison Wonderland said...

3 minutes?! You're a rock star!

I'm a dedicated, focus on the specifics of what needs to be done rather than the big picture of what I'm doing, gal. There'll be plenty of time for that on the flight.

Jocelyn said...

Yes, I am an awesome exercise genius. *snort*

I went back to Level 2 today and plan to go between the two. I couldn't see straight while standing for at least 20 minutes after doing Level 3. It's the cardio that kills me on Level 2, but I'm getting better at it. Level 3's abs, strength, and cardio all kill me. Grrrr.....
I want to get the Yoga Meltdown. Like you, I am a huge Jillian fan. Her workouts are just my style.

Let's see, books? Well I'm not reading a ton lately, but I loved The Wednesday Wars and Trouble by Gary Schmidt (Amanda D recommended them to me). They're good YA fiction.
Classics always make me happy, too. And The Help if you haven't already done it. It's a good one.

China. That's just awesome. And I totally, completely understand. I live my life from day to day, rarely any further ahead than that. It wouldn't sink in for me until I was on the plane. That's how it usually is. Or at least when I'm waiting to board. Then I get reeealllly excited. I'm so happy for you!

Oh, and I like Alison's post a lot. It was thought-provoking.

Stephanie said...

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. It's all about how we think and first impressions. Intellectual without being overwhelming.