Friday, September 17, 2010

Bathing Kids Means Clean Bathrooms. Who Knew?!

This morning while #4 and #5 took a bath, I cleaned the bathroom. In the back of my mind I think I remember my neighbor telling me that this was how she always cleaned her bathroom while her kids were young. As I was cleaning I thought, "Why the heck haven't I been doing it like this all these years!?" It seriously was awesome. The kids were happily playing, I was in the room making sure they didn't drown, and the bathroom was cleaned so well! Even the floors! And after I got them out, I went back and wiped down the already wet tub.

Brilliant!
------------------------------

#5 has entered a brand-new stage, the one I call the former-#3-stage.

Basically, he screams all the time.

And it's not so much a scream as it is a shriek. High-pitched, long, piercing shrieking. If anyone passing by the house heard it, they would probably think he was about to die. Or something. #3 did this around this age, too, so it's slightly reminiscent. But it's not a positive reminiscing. More of a negative reminiscing. Although, now that I think about it, reminiscing is supposed to be fairly positive in definition, right? So, maybe it's more like the dreaded-past re-visiting.
-----------------------------

Remember how I said I was going to do Level 3 of Shred this morning?

Well, I almost didn't.

Brandon is gone to school, first of all. That, dear reader, in and of itself, causes my motivation for most things to wane. I'm not sure if it's because when he's here I feel supported or if I just want to prove that I can do stuff in front of somebody (seriously, it's probably the last one), but I just don't feel as motivated by late-night or early-morning activities when he is absent. Anyway, my alarm was set for 6:08AM. #5 woke up at 5:54AM.

I went in, calmed him down, and he went back to sleep. The bladder called to me and so I went to use the facilities. As I was sitting there half-asleep (how many of you have fallen asleep on the toilet? Yeah? Me, too. Many times), I kept thinking about how pointless it would be to go back to sleep for 10 minutes or so. And so I told myself I should just turn off the alarm and go back to sleep until 7AM.

When I walked out of the bathroom and went to my alarm clock, I made a bold decision in 5 seconds. I turned off the alarm, looked at the inviting bed, and did an about-face. Since I always sleep in my exercise clothes (don't ask. Okay, you can ask), I just grabbed my hair elastic from off the dresser and left the room.

And I did Level 3.

And it really did kill --not as much as it could have (see previous post) --but close enough!

And because I had all that energy, I made breakfast, started baking bread, did the bath/cleaning bathroom thing, and I'm on my way today! All thanks to exercise. And the powerful self-motivation. And prayer. Because I honestly think the nightly "please help me to get up to exercise" prayers really help. A ton.

The End.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Okay, I just have to say that I TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY get the "I'm way more motivated when there's someone there to watch me" thing. Oh, man, how I get it.

You are awesome! Way to make a hard decision in a split second. You're a rockstar.

I did Level 2 today, but I did it HARD. And it was hard. Really. Hard. But I did it and that makes me happy.

Amanda D said...

See - I'm so much more the opposite of you and Julie. I'm the work out only if the husband (or older kids) aren't home. But I am happy to work out with friends. Not sure what the deal there is.

Anyway, way to go! You totally rock. I'm so inspired by you.

I used to clean the bathroom while the kids were in the tub. Now they bathe themselves and I don'e clean the bathroom as often. I should probably change that.

Anonymous said...

Well, I took a shower today AND did dishes, so...

And what is this working out thing of which you speak?

Alison Wonderland said...

I bow in awe of your awesomeness. You're my hero.

Alison Wonderland said...

Oh and, Why the heck are you cleaning the bathroom at all? You've got kids for that.