Monday, May 02, 2016

Monday Confessions

Confessions:

*I ate four cookies for breakfast. And some goldfish crackers. Maybe some of the baby's apple cinnamon oatmeal.

*I haven't had more than 5 hours of sleep in a row since about... 2014.

*I bought some Jamberry. I know that I have loads of friends who sell it and have been trying to get me to buy some (not super aggressively --all have been very nice about it!), but I didn't want to. Until now. Heh. Anyway, I got some because I want to curb my nail biting habit. I've tried to keep them painted in the past to do this and it was ridiculous because the paint would come off in two days. You can see how gross my cuticles and hangnails are in this photo --I'm also attempting to fix that as well. So far, so good! I haven't bitten a nail in more than two weeks! I love "fine china" and I did the girls' nails last night. Since I rarely wear makeup (or jewelry or curl my hair), this is pretty fancy schmancy for me! The end.


*I didn't sign the Target boycott. I also kept my red card. That said, I'm shocked at how many people are supporting gender neutral bathrooms, especially feminists. I think gender neutral bathrooms are a horrible idea and our society is on it's way to hell really, really fast. We're pretty much already there. That's gonna offend people, and so I direct you to my next confession...

*I think people spend way too much time being offended. It's the plague of social media.


*I read so many books that I can't remember what books I've read some of the time. And the only book genre I can read consecutively without having to take a break (because of hard subjects or whatever) are clean historical romances (the clean is imperative). Regency is a plus. Which reminds me --I got a Julie Klassen book at our Young Women's garage sale fundraiser for $1! Score!

*I thought I was getting better at not yelling and screaming at the family. But because it is my biggest vice, I can't seem to eradicate it completely. I don't expect myself to never yell for any reason whatsoever, but I do expect myself to grow up and be nice. I'm the greatest of hypocrites, you know, and I abhor hypocrisy and dishonesty in every form. I teach my kids to be kind! Be calm! Apologize! Forgive! Don't bark at your brother! Stop screaming at your sister! And yet what am I doing? Barking, yelling, seething... BLERG. Great example, eh? It's damaging to their emotional state --it's damaging to mine! Sometimes I think I may be too hard on myself because I'm not the only mother who yells. I also am not the only mother who is frustrated with children who won't obey until their mothers become screaming banshees. But I know better. And because I know better, I feel I should DO better. I'm not gonna give up, though. Each new day is a day to try again and honestly, dear reader? I'm trying. I really am.


*I absolutely and unabashedly love the Royal Family. Especially Will and Kate and their adorable babies.

*I feel no shame in admitting that I am a Christian woman who loves and tries to follow Jesus Christ. I don't feel fear in professing my belief in prophets and modern revelation. I feel blessed to have a Savior and I am just peachy keen to let the world know of Him and His commandments and why following Him brings us true peace and real joy. I will never apologize for my testimony and faith. I will never deny what I know and believe to be true because I have never found anything else that can even come close to competing with the safety I have found in Jesus Christ. No matter what else happens in my life, I know I have a Savior.


*It's taken me hours to write this post because of interruptions from the minions. And now I will go clean my house and start dinner in the crockpot. Maybe. Unless I'm distracted by something else...

2 comments:

Sus said...

I love, love, LOVE to read your blog. <3 Even though you aren't a perfect mother (I don't believe there IS such a thing, except, well, Mary), I think you're doing a fine job. You love your kids completely and you don't give up on them OR yourself! I think that's the best kind of mother. :)

I want to explain a little something from my perspective about the transgender issue you brought up. My daughter is married to a transgender woman who was a man when they married.

I think sometimes people get very confused about transgender folks because of a few that like a lot of attention - and personally, I believe it's a very small 'few.' Most transgender people don't want anyone to be aware they're transgender, they just want to blend in and live their lives. My daughter-in-law doesn't want a fuss made about her or where she goes to the bathroom, she just needs to use the facilities! EVERYONE does.

Can you imagine how it would work if she had to walk into the mens' room wearing a dress?! She lives her life as a woman and should be treated as a woman. (Looking at her, you'd never be able to tell she wasn't a woman. You've probably been in the restroom with transgendered people on more occasions than you could count.)

If you had any idea of the cost of their pain and losses, physically, emotionally, and financially, you might have more compassion. I know I do.

I think a gender neutral or family bathroom is a good compromise.

Cheryl said...

Sis, thanks!

The reason I think gender neutral bathrooms (and let me clarify that I'm talking about men's and women's bathrooms being fluid and non-existent) are horrible is because of sexual assault. The end. You're right that I probably haven't noticed a transgender person in the bathroom with me and I really don't care if they have been, because that's not the issue. The issue is men having a free pass to now follow my daughters into bathrooms and locker rooms and NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. That's what bothers me. So we agree that a single, locked bathroom is a good solution. For everyone.

And honestly, I feel an incredible amount of pity for your DIL. I believe changing genders is dangerous and spiritually damaging, but I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.