Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Farewell, Book of Faces

Well, I pulled the plug. I yanked the cord. I chopped the... whatever. I don't know any more clichés, so you'll just have to deal with "I quit Facebook."

Irony: Most people who read this blog probably came over from the links I left on Facebook. So the FB people won't know I left FB because I'm not posting this post about leaving FB on FB. You know?

It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. But it was ruining my life (see previous post. And all of my conflicting emotions about it for the last 4 years, although I guess you won't be able to see those, since they are in my MIND, but still, you can imagine! You are very imaginative, dear reader...). I'll probably be back in a few months (years?), but I need to re-establish awesome habits before I try to immerse myself into that form of social media again.

So... that is all.

Carry on!

6 comments:

John said...

I hope you are still coming on Thursday, 6:30 at Harmons. I like you better in real life anyway.

I understand the getting out of social media bit, though.

I am finding it really hard to remember to look people in the eyes when I talk to them, and that used to be natural.

Cheryl said...

Yes! Of COURSE I'll be there. I'm bringing Katie and Christina! ;)

I like you in real life, too. In fact, the biggest hurdle for me in quitting FB was the large families forum. But, I figure I know enough of you in real life now, that I can email/text/call/visit and it will replace my neediness. :)

Julie said...

Good for you! I saved your last post in my feed reader to go back and comment on and now I'll just comment here!I pulled the plug on January 1st. It was SAD how many times the first week or so that I would be sitting at the computer and my fingers would want to start typing "fac..." A couple weeks in, I don't miss it and I don't feel like I'm missing out anymore. I do check once a week or so, but I find myself scrolling quite quickly and thinking "wow. I can not believe I used to waste so much time on here."

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Props for you, my friend!! I'm here, also not on Facebook, anytime you want to chat with a live person!! ;)

Amanda D said...

So, nearly a week later, do you miss it? I can't bring myself to quit...I would miss connecting with a few certain people, but I did whittle it way down. Here's how: I unliked just about every single page that I "liked", I changed some of my "friends" to acquaintances, so now my feed is about three statuses long when I check in. My theory is that this will make me want to check in a lot less.

Amber said...

I will miss you on there, Cheryl. You and I don't see each other in real life.