Thursday, October 18, 2012

Books, Books, Books!

Books I've read recently (forgive me if I've repeated anything here. I'm going from memory and I can't remember my most recent list and I'm too lazy to look it up):
Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean
Olivia (Newport Ladies Book Club) by Julie Wright
Daisy (Newport Ladies Book Club) by Josi Kilpack
Paige (Newport Ladies Book Club) by Annette Lyon
Dispirited by Luisa Perkins
Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

I swear I read something else, but I can't remember right now... :(

Book I'm still reading: 
The Gift of Giving Life by Felice Austin and several others

Books I need to read:
The Beginning of Better Days by Joseph Smith Jr. (from his instructions to the Relief Society)
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (yes, I'm the last one on Earth to read this book)
Silas Marner by George Eliot (again, last person!)
Princess Academy: Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale (I need to re-read Princess Academy first, though)
Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
The Hobbit by Tolkien (again, last person)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien (ditto)
A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner (frankly, I need to re-read this entire series, since this is the fourth book --it's honestly one of my favorite book series of all time! Brilliant writing.)
Undaunted by Gerald Lund
The rest of the Flavia deLuce novels (the sequels to The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie)

Books I want to read again:
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
Persuasion by Jane Austen (it's about that time of year)
Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

---------------------

I love to read, as you can see. What have you read lately that is good? (If you suggest 50 Shades of Grey, not only will I smack you, I'll pray for your eternal soul. I'm not kidding.)  And if you had to choose, what would you pick as your favorite book of all time?


5 comments:

Janelle said...

I loved Lord of the Rings and Poisonwood Bible when I read them. But I imagine tastes change over time. I bet I like Crossing to Safety better at this age than when I first read it.

flip flop mama said...

Poisonwood Bible is a great book. Just read The Moonstone, Pope Joan and David Copperfield. Best book of all time? Impossible to choose one. :)

Stephanie said...

No Biking in the House without a Helmet was good (woman with several kids who adopts several more older children from Africa).

Favorite of all time is still Pride and Prejudice

I just got the email that Shannon Hale's newest book is at the library waiting for me. YEAH!!

Ro Jeanette said...

Don't worry, you are not actually the last person to read those books (Poisonwood, Tolkien). I haven't read any of them!

I recently started the Ranger's Apprentice series. I like it fine but it can be a little slow in places. Definately more for boys.

I also read Home by Julie Andrews. It is a memoir of her early years. Not overly tragic but filled with true-to-life disappintment and sadness.

My favorite book book is Jane Eyre, although I have only made it all the way through once.

chercard said...

We just read "Let It Go" by Chris Williams, such a powerful book of forgiveness and the power of the Atonement!

Favorite book of all time? The Hiding Place or Man's Search for Meaning.