Tuesday, April 03, 2012

General Conference and Need for Nature

General Conference:

All I can say? Awesome. Every thing I wanted to hear I heard. Every thing I didn't want to hear, but needed to hear, I heard. I honestly cannot wait to read all of the transcripts and study them throughout the next 6 months. Last time conference rolled around, I wrote a quick sentence or two about what each speaker talked about and a goal I made to follow their instruction. This time, because I have/had no time, I've decided to just list some of the things I felt impressed to change/improve upon within myself:

*Stop it! Stop judging other people. Stop feeling envy and hatred and jealousy and resentment.
*Treating FHE more seriously --the teaching our kids part.
*Start believing the Savior and His Atonement --view the mountains as a joyful chance to learn and grow.
*Be kinder. To every one. Especially to my husband and children.
*LET THINGS GO.
*Read Doctrine and Covenants sections 6 and 121. Study them.
*Have more gratitude in the face of those mountains --gratitude begets joy!
*Realizing my priorities are in the right place; now keep them there!
*Family, family, family. Re-focus efforts upon them --teaching, time, housework, vacations, etc.

It was a great weekend. Family, friends, cinnamon rolls, and David Archuleta in the MTC choir. What more could one ask for?

---------

We are still sick in our household, but it's getting better. Baby has been especially worrisome, but the doctor says it's not RSV or pertussis --simply a cold. Interestingly (and gratefully) he has the same one I have, so I can see the signs and I know that we are both on the mend. I hope so! Because I'm ready to get going with routines, outdoor excursions, and travel. Stir crazy? Cabin fever? You betcha!

I'm also anxious because I'm supposed to be doing this. How many miles do I have so far? A big fat ZERO. Sigh... Yes, the baby and I have been sick. Yes, that means I need to give myself a break. But I wanna start, man! Maybe tomorrow I won't be coughing up a lung, and then I can at least do something.

I'm feeling this interesting awakening inside of me. I don't think I realized how hard the pregnancy was one me until I was no longer pregnant. I'm feeling this urgent desire to get moving again --to be energized. It's not even really about losing weight; it's more about wanting to have energy. To be healthy. To just LIVE. To go, go, go...

I cannot wait to get my kids up to the mountains this summer. I'm looking forward to any communion with nature I can have, and I'm already planning, in my head, our summer schedule. I need some nature. Some woods. Camping, flowers, birds, deer. Probably a garden, too.
To heal mine aching moods,
Give me God's virgin woods.

~Clinton Scollard


How are you, dear reader? What did you love about General Conference? Are you in the need for some nature, too?

3 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Just so you know, I haven't started on my 100 Miles either. :)

And YES! I crave the outdoors.

Oh, and Gen. Conf....loved it!

chercard said...

I am doing the 100 mile challenge, you inspired me!

I love the outdoors too, something about that vitamin D that lifts my spirits! Unfortunately with the spring also comes wind and allergies and asthma problems :( So we don't spend as much time outside as I would like to due to kids having to breathe :)

Amanda D said...

Oh, my dear, give yourself a break! The challenge only started a couple days ago. You'll have plenty of time to walk and do stuff when you are feeling better. Don't push too hard too soon.

I loved conference as well. I love when the Ensign comes and I can read, read, and read.