I don't get the proselyting mission of the JW's. Each time this man comes, usually with a different "companion" --from his friend to his wife to his son to his cousin's brother's babysitter's friend --he engages me in a doctrinal discussion that usually borders on boring. He's a very kind man, for sure, and it seems like he has something else up his sleeve, but for the life of me, I don't know what! Because he won't engage me. We talk about the creation, the God of the Old Testament, why Jesus is the First Born, etc. but it doesn't get very deep. Or hostile. Which is good --I mean, don't get me wrong! I'm glad that I'm not bible-bashing with the local JW's. But it leaves me with these questions:
1. They never ask to come in. Never. We stay outside.
2. They never call me or follow up. They usually show up every 4-6 weeks. Like my online shopping packages.
3. They are very vague about their beliefs, given to me in the pamphlets every 4-6 weeks.
4. Are they really trying to convert me?
5. If they are, why don't they try harder?
I guess you could say I'm slightly offended that I'm not pursued more. I mean, do I not look like a witness of Christ? Hello, people! I'm TOTALLY a witness of Christ! I am an awesome example of Christianity! What's wrong with me that they won't try harder to convert me? I'm thinking it's because of this:
1. They can tell I'm super-educated in the ways of doctrine. Most Mormons are, fortunately. We love us some scriptures! So, they can't really "trap" me.
2. Maybe they're missionary program is on a "one day, may years from now, they will convert, but for now we'll keep the mystery alive!" basis.
3. Isn't there something about only 144,000 people being saved after we all die? (Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to insult the JW's!) Then recruiting more people lessens their own chance of getting into heaven, right? Right?
Anyway, it's interesting. I'm always polite to them. I'm always kind. Because --as I told my JW friend the last time we spoke (around 4-6 weeks ago, not this afternoon, even though we did speak this afternoon) --I have a soft place in my heart for those who preach about Jesus.
But isn't it weird they don't try harder? Maybe it's just my Mormon missionary zeal projecting outward onto them. Ooh! Ooh! Maybe I'll try to convert THEM next time. Ha! That would throw them for a loop, eh?