Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Trials With Purpose

I can't even remember the question she asked. But I remember my answer.
"Trials with purpose," I said.
Our Sunday School teacher gave me a questioning look.
"What I mean is that when we have the knowledge that we have, when we know why we are here and what our goal is, then our trials suddenly have meaning and purpose."
-----------------------------------------
It is easy to forget. Too easy. Most of the time I feel I'm at a corner, and I can't see around the bend. I don't know what is coming, and instead of having faith in my God that the future will be okay, I fuel the fire of doubt and fear. Instead of remembering the corner is near, I stare out at the long, long street. But when I finally turn the corner, and I see all that has been waiting for me, I feel immense relief. And foolishness. How easily I forget!
How many times have I cried in my prayers that my pain will be taken away only to be given the ability to endure it? How many times have I asked for what I wanted, only to be shown what I needed? How many times have I stubbornly refused to allow happiness into my life because I didn't think I deserved it?
The never-ending path before me seems to stretch on forever. It seems so endless and pointless and painful.
But then there comes a corner.
There has always been a corner.
There always will be.
-----------------------------------------
Most of us know what happened to Stephanie Nielson. This video of her and her family is a remarkable reminder to me of how important my role, my knowledge, and my faith are to me, and to my children. This life is meant to have pain and trials. It is meant to have suffering and disappointment. But they have a purpose. And luckily for all of us, we can have the joy right along with the pain. I know I do! I have joy in my life. Remarkable, incredible joy.

"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." 2 Nephi 2:25


No comments: