Last night, I had another crazy dream. This time, I was at the hospital, and the nurse told me I was 6 1/2 cm dilated. (Forget for the moment that one cannot be "1/2" dilated.) But I wasn't in labor. So they sent me home.
The reason I had this dream, dear reader, is because yesterday I had another ultrasound appointment. Remember? The one I didn't want to keep?
Now I'm glad I did.
Because not only did it prove my genius at knowing my own body, it's given me something to look forward to: An actual birth date!
The fluid levels were normal (I knew they would be). The baby is HUGE (I knew he would be). But because a doctor saw this, she recommended a medical induction (rather than elective), and after my appointment with my midwife this morning, I will be having a baby on....
...July 27th! Yeah, it's just one week before the due date, but this is good. Brandon is leaving tonight and will be gone until the 18th (he has school and a jaunt to London for work). Then he has another weekend of school and will be back on the 25th, which will begin his four week break (for school)! It's seriously the most perfect day to have a baby.
Unless he decides to come earlier. Then I will need to find another labor partner. Yikes...
Now, why am I being induced a week early? Well, the ultrasound showed [side note: ultrasounds have improved so much in the last decade --I'm blown away at how accurate they are becoming!] that my son weighs approx. 7 lbs and 14 oz. and his head circum. is off the charts (his head is showing that he should be 42 weeks instead of 36 weeks). Therefore, the doctor (and my midwife) agree that it would be prudent to take him before he weighs 11 pounds. However, the doctor, after reviewing my birth history (again), believes my body can deliver a 10 pound baby fairly easily.
I mean, I did deliver a 10 pounder (okay, he was 9lbs 11oz), and this is my fifth kid. I really doubt my pelvis will suddenly clamp up. And besides, I was induced with my last two boys, and so I really felt this would happen. I guess I'm just grateful it's happened now, rather than in 2 weeks. It's nice to have a plan, you know?
Oh! And guess who gets to be my midwife at the induction? The one who validated me earlier --the one I want! Yay! We even had a very candid discussion about inductions and my hatred for pitocin this morning, and she is right on board. She even said she'd break my water first (something I beg each induction to start with) and wait a few hours before giving me the lowest dose of pit. (which is tolerable and --during an induction --most likely needed).
I like this woman.
So, there you go. I'm havin' a July baby!
Just in case you were interested, of course...