Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tyrant Mom

#4: It scawee.
me: What is scary?
#4: Piders.
me: Spiders?
He nods.
me: What else is scary?
#4: Sakes
me: Snakes? What else?
#4: Weaweons
me: Aliens?
He nods.
me: What else is scary?
#4 thinks for a minute looking past me, then looks at me very seriously and says: Bad Gize!
---------------------------

Right at this very moment, I'm letting the kids get away with a big no-no. The play room, which I told them they had to clean, is still dirty, and yet they are running around the house, and just went outside to play.
And now, looking at what I'm typing, I feel like an anarchist.
Who cares? I can let them be children and have fun, right? It's summer! Besides, they cleaned two bathrooms, their bedrooms, the living room, and the family room. Yeah, I should push them forward and make them finish the play room (the last on the list), but for some reason, I just don't care today.
I could blame exhaustion, and I could blame my ever-creeping-back-Depression-that-seems-to-be-attacking-me-silently-but-I'm-too-tired-to-think-about-it-right-now, but I think I'm just tired of being "tyrant mom" today. TM (tyrant mom) is one of those things I do well, you know. TM has taught the kids how to read, play the piano, clean a toilet, use the microwave, wash a wall, make a bed, be quiet in Sacrament Meeting (although that was also TD --tyrant dad), and use good manners. TM yells a lot, though. No pride in that. But TM also gives kisses and allows snacks. TM also lets the kids watch TV and play in mud. So, I guess I'm okay.
But, man! I'm tired of being TM today.
So, I think I'm going to let them watch a movie and maybe clean the playroom tomorrow. Why, not? They need a break from TM as much as I do...

3 comments:

Amanda D said...

I hear ya...I'm sitting outside while the kids are in the pool. No idea what's for dinner and no chores done yet. Somedays I'm just not up to getting stuff done. Big sigh!

Judi said...

I learned a while back that being a TM as you call it doesn't always work with all kids.
Some say that I give mine too much freedom and not enough responsibility. Those people are probably right...#1 ia finally learning to do laundry (at age 18 pre-mission). He helps around the house, etc. #2 always keeps his room picked up and helps out.
#1 told me once that his room is his space...I agreed, but told him someday he would marry and his wife would hate me. He said that when he had to do it he would, but right now it wasn't important. You know what...he's right. I don't let it get out of control in his room, but is is his space, and we all need our space, so....
As for what's for dinner...who knows, but we are loving summer and the relaxing days and evenings and just playing and enjoying each other. I think that is what it is all about, isn't it?????

FluffyChicky said...

Tyrant Moms get tired too...last night I didn't do ANY dishes OR laundry and we all played Mario Kart on the Wii instead. And it was awesome.

Oh, and kid #4 is adorable. I love how little ones (mis)pronounce things. Too cute.