Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor? Labor.

Labor Day today was good. And relaxing. Relaxing and good.
We spent the day at Brent and Ann's place; the kids ran around and played --we chatted and played board games. No schedules, good kids, great food, and the best company. A perfect day!

But since today is Labor Day, I decided to copy Summer, who got this from Rocks in My Dryer, and talk about Labor. You know, Labor? As in Labor and Delivery? Yes! That labor!:

How long were your labors?
#1: 13 hours
#2: 4 hours
#3: 8 1/2 hours
#4: 7 1/2 hours

Where and how did you deliver?
#1: UVRMC (Utah Vally Regional Medical Center); my water broke at home and I got the epidural as soon as we got to the hospital. It slowed me down, so they upped the pitocin and the rest went like clockwork. Episiotomy? Yes.
#2: UVRMC; she was ten days late, so I was induced. The dr. put me on pitocin as high as it could go and then broke my water (and I'm still kind of angry about it). I went from a 4 to a 10 in less than 45 minutes, barely got the epidural in time, but it didn't kick in until after she was born because she came in 2 pushes. Painful? Yes! Controllable pain? No. Episiotomy? Yes.
#3: Orem Community Hospital; my midwife induced me a week early because I was so big. I opted to go unmedicated, and she broke my water. I only had to have a little bit of pitocin and with the help of my husband, mother, and midwife, my big boy was born. It was hard, man. You ever heard of the ring of fire? It's fiery! But at the same time, it was so awesome! I was in control almost the entire time. Episiotomy? No.
#4: Orem Community Hospital; my midwife let me be induced a week early because I was measuring as big as I was with #3. Although I was induced with the breaking of my water, the blasted doctor on call (not the midwife) "encouraged" my increasing pitocin levels because he went off duty in less than 12 hours. And even though I was progressing, I was at the highest level of pitocin by the time I hit an 8. It was so sharply painful, my midwife gave me what I call the "loopy" drug. It helped me relax between contractions but didn't take away the pain. Meh. Episiotomy? No.

*Please note that I went from doctors who gave me episiotomies to midwives who did not. I love me some midwives. Also, that blasted pitocin is my enemy. I hate the stuff and I won't forget it! I would much rather labor for 24 hours than have that sharpness inside of me again. Slow and steady gives me control; fast and furious gives the pitocin control. I will never again give the pitocin control! Never, I tell you, never!

Birth Stats:
#1: 8 lbs 3 oz, 19 inches
#2: 8 lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 inches*
#3: 9 lbs 11 oz, 22 1/2 inches
#4: 8 lbs 5 oz, 21 inches*

*I actually don't remember how long #2 and #4 were; isn't that awful? I'd go look it up, but their baby books are in the office somewhere. And the office is covered in boxes that are still unpacked. So...that's not gonna happen. At least for not now. So, we'll go with my guesses, and if I find out I was wrong or suddenly remember correctly, than I'll let you know. Thanks for not nominating me as the worst mother of the year. It's appreciated.

Want to play along? Fabulous! Just let me know in the comments if you did your own Labor Post so I can come read about it. Meanwhile, tell me what you did for Labor Day. Hiking in the rain? Party in the kitchen? Visit to the museum? Tell me about it.

11 comments:

chercard said...

Swimming, picnic at the park with some friends and some labor/work at the home. No did not post a labor post on my blog yet, but i think it's a good idea!

Cardalls said...

BTW--that last post was me signed in under my other gmail acct.

Leslie said...

Why do I find out about these great things late at night? I think I will participate even though labor day is all but over! And...we went for a drive up to a nearby (2 hrs away) mountain. See why I miss Utah?

Cheryl said...

Leslie-
No worries! I didn't even post this until almost 9PM my time. So it's not you --it's ME. :)
And good reason to miss Utah!

cardalls (cheryl!)--
You have more than one account? Wha? That's too cool!

Anonymous said...

You birth big babies too!

Michelle said...

My sister-in-law was in labor for labor day...seriously. A few years ago I had two friends in labor for labor day. What a crazy time...by the way, my sister-in-law delivered yesterday afternoon. 7 lbs. 14 oz., 19 inches long baby girl. What a memorial labor day.

Janette Rallison said...

For child number five I was in labor for 18 hours, the epideral didn't work, and I got a spinal head ache. That child should buy me a sports car every Labor Day.

April J. said...

This was a fun one, thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

I had my first the day after Labor Day. I was kind of bummed to have missed it, not just because of the cute story potential, but I was already 12 days overdue and just wanted that stinkin' kid out already!

Oh, and my first has the same stats as your fourth, if you guessed right on the inches. Or if I'm remembering right. Hmmm...now I'm wondering.

Jeanette said...

I saw Leslie's post and thought this was such a fun idea for a Labor Day post. Too bad I missed it. We were driving across Virginia and West Virgina on our away home from a camping trip to the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Angela said...

I enjoyed hearing your stories since I just had my fourth and I'm still thinking in "labor mode." I'm with you: midwife in, pitocin OUT. And like you, my third was 9 1/2 pounds delivered naturally. What fun that was!