Thursday, July 19, 2007

You know you're a mom in the Bay Area when...

...your minivan is filled with:
  • Sand toys
  • Water wings/inner tube things
  • strollers
  • camping chairs
  • Frisbees
  • blankets for the grass
  • coolers with snacks
  • water jugs
  • jackets
  • sun hats
  • rock collections
  • acorn collections
  • stick collections
  • sunscreen
  • mosquito repellent (wait. I can't find mine. It's in the house somewhere...)
  • Always filled and prepared diaper bag. Well, at least it has diapers and wipes...

I'm not kidding! While living in Utah, my car was usually empty of everything. Perhaps the stroller stayed in the trunk, but if we went anywhere that actually needed it, I would put it in myself. Here, the above items are needed almost every single day (well, the rock, acorn, and stick collections are collected rather than needed. Luckily they don't notice when I toss them a few days later...heehee!) And I love it! I don't know if it's just a Bay Area thing, or a California thing, or just a I-never-did-it-before-so-it's-all-new-to-me kind of thing, but I'm addicted. Being prepared is awesome. I just need to throw some swimming suits in there and we're all set! We could drive anywhere! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are outdoor enthusiasts out here!

flip flop mama said...

It's a California thing at least. I'll tell you what I have in my car that pretty much stays there: 2 strollers (one for walking in the morning, the other for shopping) 2 or 3 beach/park blankets, beach umbrella, sand/pool toys, surf board rack, and diapers and wipes. There's probably a couple more things, but you get the gist. I can't imagine if I had to carry all these things down every time we went somewhere fun so I just leave them in there. Yes it is awesome having whatever you need already in the car!

Rochelleht said...

So, are you all ok after the earthquake? Did you feel it? Was it major?

Cheryl said...

Rochelle-
Yes! It's funny because I haven't even watched the TV to find out about it.

Early this morning, while I was asleep, I thought I heard some rain starting to fall on our patio roof outside and I thought "dang! We're going running this morning!" then Brandon wakes me up and says "Honey, did you feel that? I think it was an earthquake." I'm like "What? I'm trying to sleep!" and he says "Didn't you hear the closet doors rattling?" and I say "Oh, I thought it was rain."

Turns out it was a 4. something earthquake in Oakland I guess. The kids didn't even wake up. :) Thanks for asking, though!