Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My brother, a soldier...


My younger brother, "Big D" is a member of the National Guard. We went to see him on Sunday to say good-bye at a farewell ceremony. His unit left this morning for their assignment in Iraq. He'll be in Texas until August, and then they'll fly over to the base in Iraq; he'll be over there for at least a year.
Since he is an officer, my brother will be spending most of his time in Iraq directing other soldiers and hanging out in an office in a warehouse on a base --things that help my mother and his wife sleep at night. Of course, war is scary, anything could happen, but there seems to be an overall feeling that he'll come home to us safely. We'll be praying for him everyday.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

At least that is a SMALL comfort but I'm sure your family prayers will bring him home safely.

P.S. LOVE the family shots!

Rochelleht said...

Wow, Cheryl, that's scary!

He's totally grown up! So fun to see him!

My cousin is there for her second time as a Red Cross worker. She will be home in 4 weeks and we'll all be together this summer in Idaho camping in the mountains. I can't wait!

Anyway, she has been very safe. She's been in Baghdad and Tekrit. I'm sure Darryl will be protected. I feel for his wife being alone for a year. That is SO hard!

Cheryl said...

Luckily, his wife and son live in the Bay Area, too, so we're here to help her out. He's left before for training, but this is the longest he'll be gone; it's no fun.

Heather said...

Just found out one of my oldest and dearest friends is leaving next month for Iraq as well. Scares the snot out of me. My prayers are with your brother as well as my friend.

Cheryl said...

heather-
Man, that stinks! I hope your friend comes home safely, too...

flip flop mama said...

Tell your brother thank you for serving our country so valiantly. We owe our lives and our freedom to the armed forces. Hope he comes home safe.

Scrapbooks by Amanda said...

Tell your brother how much those of us at home are grateful for his sacrifice. Tell his wife too! I can't imagine being in that situation! We'll keep him (and all the rest) in our prayers!