Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter!



Easter is changing. For the better! More people are becoming focused upon the reason for Easter, and putting aside the secular parts (i.e. Easter Bunny, egg hunts, candy, etc.) in favor of something more spiritual, more peace and life-affirming.

As I've heard about others' attempts to do this, I've found my lazy attitude to change the way I celebrate the Most-important-event-in-the-history-of-mankind quite disappointing.
In order to rid myself of the guilt, I've done a few things this year:
  • Continued the truth that was revealed last year by #1: The Easter Bunny is NOT real and we just leave baskets for fun.

  • Had the children watch the 2003 Ensign's DVD on the life and death of Christ this morning

  • Asked the children, last night, why they think we celebrate Easter. My heart was overflowing with joy when #2 said "Because Jesus died and then was Wezawected"

  • Watched, over and over, the Music and the Spoken Word where they sung a new piece that was written (lyrics) by my friend and former Bishop, David Warner. :)
I love Easter because it magnifies sadness turning to Joy. It's purely that simple. I hope my attempts to teach my children about our Savior will not be in vain. I pray for them that they will know and trust Christ, just as I do.

11 ¶ But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, 12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. 13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him. 14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. 16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
--John, Chapter 20:11-16

No comments: