Thursday, January 25, 2007

Who will they all become?


I've been thinking a lot lately about my children. Of course, each day is filled with meal preparation, dressing, changing diapers, solving problems, stopping sibling fighting, education, playing, and discipline. I can't help but think about them. But I've been thinking about them lately in terms of who they were when they were born, and who they are becoming now.


When each child was born, I remember how much I adored their faces. I loved to watch their eyes looking around, their mouths cooing, their soft breathing; and I would wonder how they would turn out. Will she be creative? Will she be a musician? A scientist? A doctor? A lawyer? Maybe he'll grow up to be a songwriter, or a quarterback. It seemed like the world was open to endless possibilities.


In a way, it still is, of course. There is no set time limit for greatness, nor are there limits to what my children can accomplish. They are all very unique and have their own quirks (as I like to call them). #1, for example, is an artist in every way, but her weaknesses are exactly like mine. She can't seem to control her emotions --yet she is very compassionate. #2 is witty and funny, but has to have things EXACTLY her way, or she goes just nutty. #3 is amazingly curious about all things --he is starting to take things apart to see what's inside. But he can't stand to be left out of anything, and therefore will get violent (2 yr old "normal" violence) with his sisters if he is left out. Yet he is quick to apologize.


So, where will they end up? And how did they get there? I know for a fact that a lot of the way they are is innate, but a lot of what they learn --what DH and I teach them --will help shape who they become as well. It really is a huge responsibility that I try to take seriously, but am constantly having to think about it, pray about it, repent over it, and try, try, try again.


I know the reason this is all on my mind, of course. In less than 2 weeks, a new life will be in my arms. I'm sure I'll stare at his beautiful face and wonder the same things I wondered with my older children. I hope that I'll have the energy to continue to try my best. I'm nervous, of course, but excited. If he's anything like my first three kids, then I will be so blessed. :)

No comments: