Tuesday, April 04, 2006

It's Spring! Let's Clean!

Interestingly enough, all of my favorite community blogs are talking about this (such as: www.mommywars.blogspot.com and www.feministmormonhousewives.org and I'm sure that www.talesfromthecrib.blogspot.com also has something about this on it). I guess I'll just add to the excitement. :)

I've never been so excited about organization in my life! I'm now preaching the word and taking it to the world that organized homes are wonderful. My mother was right! Having a clean home does help me stay happy! And I get more done! And I'm happy!

Hey, now don't get me wrong. I know that a clean house can also make me completely CRAZY because I have to give up my exciting life to keep it that way. Okay, sometimes I do, but not always. Have an exciting life. But anyway...sometimes cleaning the house takes a back seat to being with my kids or my calling or watching Gilmore Girls (YAY! Finally --finally! --a new episode tonight!) or reading fabulous literature by amazing authors.

But...2 weeks ago I had a revelation. Or a revolution. I decided that my home needed to be in order. Now I am not quite the homemaker, but I will admit that very rarely do I find food under beds or in couch cushions. I've done my best to emulate my organized mother (although I'm sure I fall a little under her expectations --and that's okay), but I think it's hard sometimes with 3 small kids. ANYWAYS....I began the "make-over" of the home.

DH is a pack rat. Not too badly --I can get him to part with things. At the beginning of our marriage it was hard to convince him to get rid of anything, but now that I can say "Have you even seen this in the last 7 years?!?!" and he can readily admit that he's being silly and let it go. Which was great! I did the same for my clothes ("I have worn this in 3 years?") and the purging took on a new life. I re-did #3's bedroom and now he has one! All office/computer/storage stuff is now in the office. EVERYTHING from the toy room to the office to our bedroom to the laundry room (which is next) has been organized. I LOVE IT! Order! It's my new calling!

And that's not all! Oh, no! You would think that I would have been enough to keep me elated for decades, but..but...but! I have finally conquered it.....LAUNDRY. That chore has plagued me for at least 5 years. But I finally found a schedule that I can keep. And it's working! It's been at least 3 weeks without 8 loads of clean laundry piled on our bedroom floor. Ahh...I can see our floor.

Okay, so it's obvious in my writing that this organization thing has really, really, really got me happy! Actually, that could be pathetic if you think about it too long...but what could be better than getting my home in order so that I can spend more time with my family? Instead of looking for stuff? That we don't need?

Yay for Spring!!

No comments: