Wednesday, August 08, 2018

New School Year Mental Prep

Baby number 8 is a boy. And he's gonna be cute (I decided).



That means we'll have 5 boys and 3 girls! Wha?!

-------------------------------------

School starts next week. This year, we'll have:

1 Senior
1 Sophomore
1 Freshman
1 6th grader
1 4th grader
1 1st grader
1 pre-pre-schooler (this means she's just staying home all day with mom, again!)
1 baby-on-the-way (here by Christmas!)

I'll also have a husband who is teaching full-time at K-State in the Business Department, as well as teaching early morning seminary. And consulting. And running our new family business.

I will be teaching 31 piano students. And mothering all those kids, having a baby, and helping with the family business.

😲 (Right!?!?)



-------------------------------

Depression is still controlled. I'm a lot more moody because of the pregnancy, but I'm still able to function day-to-day without any complete breakdowns (just half-ones, haha).

This summer was difficult. We've had spectacular ones in the past, so I can't complain, but this one was exhausting for all the wrong reasons. Bills piling high, no real vacations, extreme weather (meaning playing outside was incredibly difficult), and extra-bored/whiny kids... it all just kind of added together to make things more stressful. I wish I could say we handled it all with grace and kindness, but during the last few weeks, our family has been edgy, loud, and annoyed with each other. Nobody is exempt --we've all allowed the stress to turn us toward negativity, criticism, and anger. I'm anxious for school to start, even to just kind of give us all a break from one another and a chance to get away from electronics/TV and the house. I think a new routine will be a blessing for everyone!

But this also means my days will be significantly different and I am planning ahead for the onslaught of exhaustion and busy-ness.

I'll be up every day by 5:30AM; I'll see husband and big kids off by 5:50AM. I won't need to wake the younger kids up until 7AM (huzzah!), so that will give me a good hour to do the things I need to do alone --scripture study, prayer, meditation, exercise, planning the day, etc. Once the 3 elementary kids leave by 8:15AM, I will have exactly 6-7 hours to stay on top of the laundry, household chores, dinner prep, errands, bills,  (maybe a nap?!) etc. in order to balance the needs of my family with that of my piano studio. From about 2:30PM until 10PM, I will be running, running, running (or in this instance, teaching and mothering!).

Saturdays will mean family business (it'll be our busiest time, the weekends), chores I didn't get to, and activities for the kids (jobs for older girls, orchestra for the 11 year old, etc.).

Sundays will hopefully be full of rest! There's a reason we've been asked to keep the Sabbath Day holy, and it's so much about catching our breath and pausing for a minute...

Speaking of Sundays, I've decided I will need to quit playing for the Presbyterians sooner rather than later --I was going to have to quit come January because my church schedule would switch to mornings (making it impossible to continue to do both), but because of the pregnancy and the stress of life, I'll need to stop probably by October. Luckily, I may have already found a replacement! And then our Sabbath days will be a lot easier... and for me, a lot more restful...

-------------------------------

Good thing I believe this:



2 comments:

Birrd said...

Do you remember the worldwide devotional in 2016 when President Nelson told us to expect to do the impossible? Two people can do anything as long as one of them is the Lord!

Cheryl said...

Yes! It's so true, too. :)