Wednesday, October 19, 2016

In Case You Didn't Notice, This is a Presidential Election Year

Okay, you know what? People are posting all over the internet that they are so tired of hearing about politics. They claim that it's too negative and divisive (as if an election wouldn't be divisive? Aren't we all trying to convince each other who to vote for? Isn't that the whole point of an election?) and they wish people would just pipe down and stop talking about it all.

Umm, people, newsflash: There is a general election in less than 4 weeks. A presidential election that could literally change our entire political process and who we vote for in the future. If you aren't thinking about politics and re-thinking who you're voting for on every level (local, state, federal), then maybe you should stop and as yourself, "why?" Our whole future can be determined by who wins in elections. It is our duty as citizens (and even Christians!) to be involved in politics. Don't believe me? Read this link really quickly. (For our day, indeed!)

As for me, I haven't been so excited about a person to vote for since Mitt Romney! I wore red, white, and blue this week just because I was feeling patriotic. I feel so much peace knowing the man I'm voting for has principles and integrity. I may not agree with 100% of his policies or ideas, but I believe in most of them. I can't wait for my yard signs to come in the mail! And the bumper stickers. Evan McMullin is someone I can vote for with a clear conscience. I'm excited for the chance to support him!


(And no, I'm not voting for him because I'm some Mormon lemming. I didn't even know he was Mormon when I decided to vote for him!)

People keep telling me I'm throwing away my vote (see previous post for the truth). People keep telling me that I'm the problem and Trump would be a good president once elected. People tell me Trump would be better than Clinton and I better step in line and stop her from being elected. The Supreme Court? Give me a break. If that's the only reason you can plug your nose to jump in and vote for someone you despise, then you may want to re-think your reasoning. As if a Republican House/Senate would allow Clinton to put in people they hate, anyway.

Why compromise your integrity just because you hate the other person running, more? What kind of vote is that?

Honestly, I don't care who ultimately wins this election. Sure, I want McMullin to win, but I'm not stupid enough to think he has a really great chance. I only care about living with myself. I only care about doing what I believe to be right.

I want to be able to say, "hey, kids, look! A good leader who could help our country, who cares more about service than himself. He's not a racist, not a misogynist, and he hasn't committed federal crimes and gotten away with it! Look! Someone with principles and integrity, someone who doesn't care about power, someone who actually answers ALL the questions he's asked without changing the subject! This is amazing! I can support this person! And your mother voted for this person. She did what was right even though all odds were against her. And did you know, kids, that great things have happened when good people get together and try to make change? Look at our Revolutionary War --we should not have won. All odds were against us and yet we defeated the greatest world power in existence! Look at Esther, kids. She could have died, and she was one woman, but she saved her entire people! Look at David, kids. David was a tiny farm boy who defeated a giant and became a king! Look at Joseph Smith, kids. He was a 14 year old boy with little schooling and he helped usher in the dispensation of the fullness of times and his faith has brought the gospel of Jesus Christ to millions upon millions throughout the world! It doesn't matter how bad the odds are --you do the right thing because it is the RIGHT THING. Not because of the outcome! Think about all the people during the Holocaust who tried to save Jews and died for it, anyway. Think about all the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's who allowed themselves to be killed. Think about the men and women who rushed into the Twin Towers on 9/11. They knew they might die --they knew they could lose significantly. But that didn't matter! What mattered was the RIGHT THING. Hell may rail against you, but stand strong against it. People you love will persuade you, but don't buy into it. Stand strong. Be courageous. Do the right thing, even if it's something as little, tiny, insignificant, and personal as a vote on election day. You could possibly change the world!"

That's what I care about.

So, dear reader, think about politics for a little bit. Have a talk with yourself and find out why you are voting the way you are voting. If you can live with yourself, then you're probably doing the right thing for you. I won't hate you if you vote for Clinton or Trump. I might respect you more if you vote third party and adore you for voting for McMullin but I promise I won't hate you!

Just, please, stop hating me for voting McMullin. (Although if you understand the point of this post, I won't care if you do. Ha!)

No comments: