Friday, July 27, 2012

Post #1,435

It's true. This is my 1,435th post. I talk --erm, write --a lot.

------------

Brandon's cousin lost her baby yesterday. She went into labor, but when they got to the hospital, the baby was gone (cord accident). I can't imagine their pain and grief. I'm still racking my brain to know what to do --luckily, we have an amazing family that has already done a lot. To any of my readers who have experienced this kind of loss, my heart goes out to you. What helped you? What did family/friends do that helped you work through your grief? What is helping you now? I want to be sensitive, but not silent. What can I do?

---------

I've been reading Robert Frost's poetry and here's one that I loved:

To The Thawing Wind

Come with rain, O loud Southwester!
Bring the singer, bring the nester;
Give the buried flower a dream;
Make the settled snow-bank steam;
Find the brown beneath the white;
But whate'er you do to-night,
Bathe my window, make it flow,
Melt it as the ice will go;
Melt the glass and leave the sticks
Like a hermit's crucifix;
Burst into my narrow stall;
Swing the picture on the wall;
Run the rattling pages o'er;
Scatter poems on the floor;
Turn the poet out the door.

This is how I feel come Springtime --I'm always so ready for winter to be over! Aren't we all?

-----------

We are reading "Crossing to Safety" by Wallace Stegner for book club this month. Thanks to a recommendation by a friend!

----------

I'm really tired today. Due to demanding children in the night, I didn't get much sleep. This causes all sorts of melancholy and grumpiness, too.

Which reminds me about my facebook status. Here's a new quote you can use by yours truly:

"That quote about children and being pecked to death by chickens and such? It's more like being mauled by monkeys. Make that howling monkeys." ~Cheryl S.S.

Feel free to use it, but make sure you cite me as the source! Maybe I should make one of those picture quote thingies. Except I don't know how to make picture quote thingies. Hmmm....

---------------

I need to go weigh in for Weight Watchers this morning. I'm already late. So, as in the words of my soon-to-be three year old (tomorrow!!), "Peace out, suckers!"

1 comment:

FoxyJ said...

The death of a baby just sucks. Period. The best thing to do right now is to send a nice note, possibly some flowers. Possibly call her. Just let her know that you're thinking of her and that she is in your prayers. That's all. Right after a death people just want sympathy, not much else. Another thing to keep in mind is to remember her child in the future. Often other people 'move on' after a while, but those who are closest to a loss don't and sometimes feel like people stop mentioning it after a while. Send her a note or flowers at Christmas, or at Easter next year, or just because. Especially remember to send her something next year. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know what to say but I feel sad"; that's better right now than saying anything more.

Just my 2 cents based on past experience :)

And I love Stegner, especially Crossing to Safety. His book Big Rock Candy Mountain is another favorite of mine.