Monday, December 19, 2011

The Gratitude Challenge: 100 Things



In the youth portion of this month's First Presidency message (from the Ensign), we are asked to literally count our blessings. Our home teachers shared this challenge with us yesterday, and I thought, Why not? Instead of whining about how Christmas will be "less" this year based on money (blah, blah, I still have a humble pie post to write as an update to that one) and my Depression (which is real, but shouldn't get as much face time as I allow it), I've decided to focus on this assignment. Counting my blessings. Literally. Definitely wouldn't hurt!

To find this challenge, go here.

10 Physical Abilities:
1. I can hear music
2. I can see sunsets
3. I can walk
4. I can run
5. Even with my asthma, I can still breathe
6. My hands and fingers work --I can play the piano.
7. My toes are all still here!
8. I can smell (a little TOO much while pregnant, but still!)
9. I have organs that are all functioning properly
10. I CAN GIVE BIRTH --huge blessing. HUGE. Beyond huge. Miraculous, beautiful, overwhelmingly amazing!

10 material possessions
1. Our house --we have a roof over our head
2. Cars to drive
3. Coats and hoodies that keep me warm
4. toothbrushes!
5. A bed to sleep on. Especially our memory foam mattress.
6. My engagement/wedding ring
7. Books! Books! Books!
8. Fireplaces. With fire in them.
9. Our piano
10. Computers/iPads/iPhones

10 living people
1. My husband
2. My children
3. My parents and siblings and in-laws
4. All my BFFs (you know who you are!)
5. My amazing neighbors
6. The prophet (Pres. Monson)
7. My therapist
8. My visiting teachers (whom, I just found out, are no longer my visiting teachers. *sniff)
9. Sissel
10. My grandparents

10 deceased people
1. My grandfather
2. Jared, my BIL
3. My Uncle Wade
4. Joseph Smith Jr.
5. Mary, the mother of Jesus
6. Great-Grandma Bea
7. Great-Great-Great Grandma Jane Coleman
8. My cousin Angela
9. Great-Grandma Sarah
10. Chopin

10 thing about nature
1. Mountains
2. Rain
3. Flowers
4. Tall trees (aspens, pines)
5. Clouds
6. Sunsets/sunrises
7. Birds flying
8. Waterfalls
9. Musty smell mixture of fresh air, damp earth, and pine
10. Colors of the seasons --how they change from brown to green to yellow/red to white

10 things about today
1. My sister is coming to visit me!
2. I'm listening to Sissel singing with the MoTab right at this moment.
3. Kids still have school until Wednesday
4. Baking, baking, baking
5. Promise of snow this week (praying it will be today-- this disgusting inversion is KILLING my lungs!)
6. Nobody is sick (knock on wood)
7. I don't have to do laundry!
8. There is a fun family Christmas party tonight for Brandon's company
9. The gifts for tonight are white elephant! Huzzah!
10. I get to finish finalizing Christmas gifts

10 places on Earth
1. Blackfoot, Idaho
2. Southern Alberta (Canada), especially Waterton National Park
3. London, England!
4. Half Moon Bay (not too far from San Francisco, CA)
5. Western Washington and Oregon
6. Disneyland!
7. Grandview Hill in Provo, Utah
8. The Great Wall of China
9. The Temple. Any LDS Temple. Any of 'em.
10. The Snake River (you know, REAL rivers. Big ones!)

10 modern inventions
1. The television
2. The radio
3. CD's and DVD's
4. My iPhone!
5. The personal computer
6. Facebook
7. Laser cruise control
8. Home security systems that have temp control, video surveillance, and automatic digital door locks
9. Email
10. Blogs!

10 foods
1. Avocados
2. Seafood
3. Spinach
4. Brazil nuts
5. Dark Chocolate
6. Onions
7. Garlic
8. Basil
9. Almond milk
10. Green smoothies!

10 things about the Gospel (or, if you aren't LDS, about your Church or beliefs)
1. Knowledge of the truth about the nature and character of the Godhead
2. Priesthood authority directly from Jesus Christ
3. The Gift of the Holy Ghost
4. Sacrament Meeting
5. Temple covenants
6. Sealings!
7. More knowledge about the Atonement of Christ
8. Scriptures --such an amazing gift!
9. Continuing Revelation. Always. Constantly.
10. The Entire Plan of Salvation

Quote at the bottom of the exercise: "When we make a list like this, we discover that a list of 100 doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of all the things God has given us."

Boy, do I agree! This was very easy to write. And overwhelming emotionally, too --I've been very, very blessed.

If you do this challenge (so perfect for Christmas, don't you think?), then let me know! I'd love to read it.

4 comments:

Amanda D said...

I love this! I think I'll do it as well. :)

flip flop mama said...

I'm totally doing this. What a great way to reflect on the year and be grateful!

Michelle said...

I think I need to do this. Thanks for the challenge.

JosieKat said...

I really love this, focusing on the positive is difficult for me sometimes and this really helped me, so thank you. I am going to do it on my blog and maybe I will take it to FB as well. Merry Christmas to you and yours.