Friday, January 09, 2009

The Camera is Back: Christmas and California Highlights

We finally got the camera back last night, so here are some pictures to compliment my amazing descriptions of our out-of-this world adventures!
Or something like that.

Highlights!
Christmas:
*Having most of my family here for Christmas Eve (we missed you, Jared and Bekah!).

*Seeing the grandchildren reenact the Nativity (not MY grandchildren. Sheesh!).

*Sleeping until almost 7:30AM because the children don't know they should get up earlier.

*Getting the best Christmas present EVER from my husband: Two years worth of my blog printed out in hard copy form! Yes! It was the sweetest surprise, too. Thank you, Brandon!
*Spending all of Christmas Day reading. What did I read? Spires of Stone by my fabulous friend, Annette Lyon. What did I think of it? I really liked it! I'll give it a proper review later, though. Just know that if you like LDS historical fiction, romance, Much Ado About Nothing, or all of the above, then I believe you'll enjoy the book, too. If romance and LDS historical fiction are not for you? Then why would you read a LDS historical fiction romance? Exactly.
*Getting to hang out with some awesome cousins at my aunt and uncle's place Christmas Day Night. Seeing cousins from Canada rocks!
California:
*Discovering the beauty of splitting up the trip both ways with long, relaxing stays in a hotel (rather than the pull-in-at-midnight-stay --we did the pull-in-at-6PM-stay. I highly recommend this method!).
*Hanging out at Hoover Dam and crying my eyes out when #3 tripped over my foot and got himself this:

Isn't it awful? We got some ice from a cafe on the Dam and luckily the swelling had decreased significantly by that evening. He did complain about a headache the next day, though (no surprise, there!). But it healed quickly. Here are some pictures of the Dam:

*Having a blast at Family Christmas where we ate great Mexican food, opened fabulous presents, and listened to awesome music.
*Spending quality time with Brandon's family for five fabulous days!
*Seeing my other cousins in La Canada --see pictures here at my cousin's blog.
*Bowling and lunch with friends.

*Eating delicious Greek food.
*Horse and Pony riding with Nana.

*Hiking through the hills of Simi Valley and loving how it reminded me of northern California and all the hiking we did there (it's a lot easier than the Wasatch Mountains! Figures.).
*Spending a day in LA at the California ScienCenter and the Museum of Natural History.
*Not feeling guilty for barely staying awake to welcome in the new year while the family played a rip-roaring game of Risk.
*Not wanting to leave.

How was your Christmas? Did you travel? Where? Or, if you're tired of talking about Christmas vacations, tell me your favorite color. Mine's green!

9 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Lots of good pics!

(I love green too--used to lean toward forest green, but lately I'm a sage girl.)

Grandma Rozla said...

Love the picture of the family on Christmas Eve. Your mom looks great with the babies on her lap!!! In clothing the color black - On the bottom half (it hides my stomach flaw) - I do love spring colors though - bright and happy :)

Anonymous said...

Great! No. I said, no, remember? Mine's green too!

Jocelyn said...

Stanton printed my blog for Christmas, too! It was such a great surprise!

Pink.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

"They say geniuses pick green..."

I wonder who picks purple (my fave)...pacifists? pack rats? pansies? perfectionists?...hmm. :)

So Cheryl & Julie, tell me more about the blog printing thing...I've always wanted to do that, but I'm too busy (lazy) to compare prices and do all the research. That's what friends are for, right? ;)

And thanks for the update and picture-fest...loved it!

Anonymous said...

This probably won't make you feel any better, but I've never seen a goose egg that big. LOL! Poor him and poor you!

Amanda D said...

It sounds like a great trip, Cheryl. I read Spires of Stone (loved it!) and would like to read Eat, Pray, Love but I haven't yet. You're going to have to show me your blog book when I see you next. I'm curious.

Glad you had a good trip!

FoxyJ said...

I waver between loving yellow and green. Depends on the situation. Our Christmas break was a lot of fun--my mom won some money this summer so she treated us all to a stay in San Diego. We all stayed in a nice hotel, ate out a lot, went to the Zoo and Sea World. It was awesome to see my whole family because we don't get together much, and I much-needed break from the usual.

Stephanie said...

My favorite color's red. It was fun to catch up on your blog today. Hope you're having a wonderful time on your trip!