Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Day One and Day Two (June 26-27) of the Fabulous Vacation

Day One:
8AM. That's what time we were on the freeway! Boo-yah!
I had packed for the long journey the night before; Brandon had left that Wednesday (the 25th) for High Adventure (the Priests --16 and 17 year old young men--and leaders went to Jackson Hole!), and so it was just the kids and I. We piled into the car, and off we went!
Where did we go?
Why, to Logan, Utah of course!
We were supposed to meet Mother of the Wild Boys and Julie at Ryan's Place Park at 10:30AM. In my haste, I arrived shortly before 10AM. No worries! The kids ran around and had a great time. By 10:30AM, though, I was gettin' anxious. Anxious!
MotWB arrived first and I recognized her immediately from her blog pictures. Her boys are just as adorable in real life as they are on her blog, too! It was so good to finally meet her (my sister used to be in her ward), and we immediately clicked --it was effortless, really, in talking with her. She mentioned this on her blog, too, but it was as if we already knew each other because, well, we do! Blogging took away the awkward small talk, because we already knew what the other person represented, believed, liked, felt, etc. so it was easy to fall into conversation.
Julie was late. Not sure if I can forgive her for that (just kidding!), but I was glad when she came, too. Unlike my slight nervousness/anticipation before meeting MotWB, I knew exactly what to expect of Julie, since we've known each other since we were 12 years old.
I love Julie, btw.
We had a great time, great time! Here are some pictures of us and our kiddies (not sure I like that I slouch like an old lady --it makes me look all squishy! Yuck.):

After Julie and I said our farewells to MotWB (with many promises of getting together again, soon), we headed to Julie's house. Julie had hired some sitters, and we took off sans kids to a local Thai Restaurant. It was so fun to just sit and eat and talk without interruption! The food was pretty good (for Thai food in Utah), and the time went by way too fast. Luckily, we had a few hours at Julie's house (with the kids, of course) before we had to leave for Blackfoot.
We got to the grandparent's house in time for dinner, and they went to bed with full tummies and tired bodies. I'm not sure what I did, but I think I read a book. And maybe checked my email. Yeah. That sounds right!
Day Two:
#1 woke up in the middle of the night, and threw up.
Oh, yes.
It wasn't due to an illness --or rather --it wasn't an illness causing throw up. She had some kind of chest congestion (that had actually been going on for weeks), and she would cough and cough and cough and then gag on the phlegm. Lovely, eh?
So, that morning, I woke up, checked with my insurance, found an open clinic, and took her to see a doctor. I've been convinced for a couple of years now that she has Asthma like her mommy. But every time we see a doctor, they don't think she has it; or she's too young for a specific diagnosis, etc. etc. This time, I knew, in my gut, that she had something permanent.
We went and saw the doctor (just her and me), and he seemed to like my gut instinct. But he put her on some antibiotics (because of how long she's been congested --there was some fear of pneumonia). He also got her some asthma meds, and so we went to WalMart to fill the prescription. After giving the pharmacist the wrong insurance card (because I'm an idiot like that), and finally getting the prescriptions filled, I took my sweet girl to lunch. Just the two of us! We went to Taco Bell, and that #1 beamed the entire time. I rarely get one-on-one time with #1, and so it was nice to have a fun morning together, even if it was because she was sick. :)
(Oh, and yes. The Asthma meds are working quite well. Hooray for gut instincts!)
When we got back, the kiddies spent the afternoon eating Popsicles and running through the sprinklers (see, #1 wasn't feverish or anything --just hacking up a lung. Hackers can still run through sprinklers, you know), and I took some pictures and videos. That night, we had supper, put the kiddies to bed, watched The Spiderwick Chronicles, and then welcomed my sister and her family as they arrived late, late. I also read a book. A very light LDS read --The Bishop's Bride. Cute story; total fluff. I liked it. Fluffy, light, cheesy LDS romance novels are my guilty pleasure people. I admit it!
Here are some pictures of the day:

Here's a video:

Day Three and Four to come later...


Julie said...

I absolutely love those little moments of one on one time with the kids. Every time I make time for one, that child talks about it for weeks afterward. I'm usually an "all of them or none of them" mom -- this is yet another great reminder of the importance of focusing on "the one" just like Christ does with me. Lovely thought -- thanks for invoking it!
And I'm so glad the doctor believed your motherly instincts -- I really do appreciate that when it happens. Those docs in our hometown really do have something special, right?!
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Oh, and people, I am a very punctual person by nature. I don't know WHAT happened that day! I think it was last minute potty stops. I'm sure that's what it was -- blame the kids, blame the kids!

Cristy said...

Welcome back! Sounds like the start of a great trip.

Amanda D said...

Your trip sounds great! How fun to meet up with friends (old and new), and see family, get a chance to read and spend time with one child alone. And thank goodness for mother's instincts.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

OK, so here I am (late again) after finishing reading my chapters for the History exam I have to take tonight. I really didn't mean to neglect your blog return!

I'm sooooo glad that we had the chance to meet up at the park, you're what Anne Shirley would've called a "kindred spirit". Totally a keeper. :)

FluffyChicky said...

Fluffy LDS romances are the best. :) All things fluffy are good in my book though.