Monday, February 12, 2007

Not bad for one day, eh?

Thursday, February 8th:

8:30AM to about 10:00AM
  • Drop off #1 at school
  • Buy flowers for friend who just had her baby (at the same hospital and using the same midwives I would be using).
  • Go to Midwife appt. and learn that I am INDUCIBLE! (doubt that is a real word, but it works!). I am 3 cm. dilated, 70% effaced and a 10 on the Bishop Scale. Midwife tells me to either A) Go to the hospital and be induced B) Wait until Monday to be induced. I decide to talk with DH and call her later that morning.
  • Go visit friend in hospital and see her adorable daughter.
  • Go home and talk with DH

10:00AM to 11:00AM

  • Talk with DH about the pros and cons ("I could wait and see if I just "go" on my own" vs. "We want this done, don't we?")
  • Talk with my mom about what would work with her schedule
  • Decide to do go for it!
  • Call midwife
  • Wait for midwife to call back
  • At approximately 10:30AM, midwife calls and lets me know that in order to be induced that day, I had to be to the hospital to check in by 11AM. That's right. Thirty minutes! I only have thirty minutes to get there!
  • Frantically call babysitter for kids (amazing how nobody is home when you need them) and then be proud of myself for having my bags packed a week ago... :)
  • Get to the hospital right on time.

11:00AM to 1:30PM

  • Get checked in, undressed, all that crap, and get my IV put in.
  • Get antiobiotics going (I was positive for Strep B)
  • Midwife comes, and she starts my pitocin and breaks my water

1:30PM to 5:30PM

  • Watch a lot of "24" with DH on his laptop
  • Call to make sure kids are okay; call siblings and parents to let them know we're having the baby that day
  • Endure the contractions very well, especially considering that the nurses keep raising the pitocin level.

5:30PM to 7:45PM

  • Highest level of pitocin! SUCK! It hurts like hell (no other word can describe it: It's HELL).
  • The contractions are so hard and sharp (good word, too: SHARP) that I don't think I can handle it anymore. Midwife and DH and Labor/delivery nurse help me with the pain and use counter pressure while I breathe, breathe, breathe and concentrate on relaxing
  • Gets to the point where I'm crying, and finally begging for the epidural.
  • Luckily, my midwife, knowing I really don't want the epidural convinces me to take some kind of med (femoral?Fem?Something?) that takes the edge off and makes me loopy. For 20 minutes I can completely relax between every contraction and I can get through each one as well.
  • Pushing! HOLY COW! I'm pushing!
  • Five series --only Five series (contractions) of pushing! And out he comes right at 7:45PM
  • He was turned towards my thigh, but he was ready to come out --Still can't believe how quickly he came
  • No episiotomy; just tore a little bit
  • Midwife places him on my chest --he's so wonderful! I'm crying and laughing and crying and lauging...
  • DH got to cut the cord! For the first time! Yay for DH!

7:45PM to 10:30PM

  • Placenta won't come out
  • I'm bleeding badly (hemorrhaging!)
  • Baby's just fine and is so beautiful
  • Placenta finally comes out in one piece
  • Bleeding gets under control with whatever suppositories they stuck inside of me (I have a history of bleeding a lot during childbirth).
  • Get sewn up --just a few stitches
  • All cleaned up
  • Baby weighs 8 pounds and 5 oz. and is 21 1/2 inches long and his hair is so dark and he has so much!
  • Nurse our sweet boy for a while
  • DH takes him to be cleaned while I eat some dinner (man I was starving: STARVING! --and will continue to be until about 3 days later).
  • Nurse Baby boy again --this time is better.
  • Sleep. Sleep! Nice, beautiful sleep...


RoAnn said...

Amazing! Congratulations, and best wishes to your whole family. Thanks for posting how it went--I'm sure there are many of us who have been wondering. Once again, the title of your blog seem particularly appropriate! :)

Jan said...

Yay, congrats, I'm so happy for you! He looks like a little sweetheart. Take it easy and enjoy all the dh time since he's between jobs! How nice for you.

Cheryl said...

Thanks, you guys! I love that others are reading and caring about what happens to me and my small brood... :)